By Franklin L. Gordon, Jr., D.D.S., M.S., M.S.
June 05, 2017
Category: Oral Health
Tags: Toothache  

Does your toothache or throb? Our Flint, MI, endodontist and periodontist, Dr. Frank Gordon, discusses treatment options for toothaches.toothache

Caring for your toothache at home

Although toothaches should be evaluated by a dentist, there are a few things you can do to ease your pain until it's time for your appointment. Over-the-counter anti-inflammatories, like ibuprofen and naproxen sodium, can decrease pain. Applying ice and rinsing your mouth with warm salt water may also provide temporary relief of pain.


If your pain is caused by a cavity, you'll need a filling. Fillings fill the space in your mouth after the decayed part of your tooth has been removed.

Sensitive teeth treatments

Does your pain occur when you eat or drink hot or cold foods and beverages? You may have sensitive teeth. If weak tooth enamel is the cause, a fluoride treatment to strengthen your enamel may be helpful. Pain that occurs due to exposed roots can be treated by applying bonding material to the roots. You may also need gum disease treatment in our Flint office if your exposed roots are caused by receding gums.

Root canal therapy

Toothaches may also be caused by an inflammation or infection in the pulp, the soft core at the center of the tooth. The problem can occur if frequent dental procedures have weakened your tooth, if tooth decay has spread to the pulp or if you've fractured or injured your tooth. Once the pulp is inflamed or infected, the only way to save it is by performing a root canal on the tooth. Infections must also be treated with antibiotics. If they aren't treated promptly, the infection can spread to other parts of your body.

During a root canal, the pulp is removed from your tooth and the root canals, the small canals that reach from the roots to the top of your tooth. The treatment also involves disinfecting the center of your tooth and your canals and shaping the canals with small files. In most cases, you'll receive a temporary filling during your first visit to allow adequate time for drainage. When you return for your second visit, you'll be given a permanent filling to strengthen the tooth. You may also need a dental crown to protect your tooth after the procedure.

Are you concerned about an aching tooth? Call our Flint, MI, endodontist and periodontist, Dr. Gordon, at (810) 230-0990 to schedule an appointment.



Google Plus